All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 26 Jun 2017, 14:02 

As a parent, what are your biggest hopes and dreams for your child? Is the main focus on athletic success, or is it on something else?

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2017, 11:52 

I think this is always a tough question, especially for micromanaging parents or parents with only one child. After all, our dreams are not necessarily our kids dreams and they should be able to live their own lives and not be forced to live to our expectations.

In my case, I hope for success and happiness with my boy and try to provide tools to get him there. Basketball and track is what he wants to do right now, so I'm trying to help him be successful. I was a D1 tennis player and coached a few kids to D1 tennis scholarships. My kid, on the other hand, has no interest in tennis. So I've never forced the issue.

So my philosophy is let them try lots of things out, find out what they love to do and help guide them as much as they are willing to listen (and make sure he maintains and performs well in the classroom:)

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2017, 06:06 

Thanks for the feedback! It definitely seems like a tough course to navigate, especially when they don't want to follow the same path you chose.

smlengeo wrote:
I think this is always a tough question, especially for micromanaging parents or parents with only one child. After all, our dreams are not necessarily our kids dreams and they should be able to live their own lives and not be forced to live to our expectations.

In my case, I hope for success and happiness with my boy and try to provide tools to get him there. Basketball and track is what he wants to do right now, so I'm trying to help him be successful. I was a D1 tennis player and coached a few kids to D1 tennis scholarships. My kid, on the other hand, has no interest in tennis. So I've never forced the issue.

So my philosophy is let them try lots of things out, find out what they love to do and help guide them as much as they are willing to listen (and make sure he maintains and performs well in the classroom:)

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2017, 09:28 

My goal is to help my kid become an NBA PRO! I never played basketball, but he loves it and has no problem working at it. So we guide, help and push him when he has difficult moments. So far so good! He plays up on pretty much every team he plays for and is a highly sought after player in our area.

It didn't happen overnight, but it's been fun to watch! Any other future NBA parents here?