All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 14 Jun 2017, 17:48 

We have a son who is about to start his Sophomore year in High School. He has the physical skills to be a great basketball player. He has been playing for about 5 years. You teach him a skill and he can master it. His biggest challenge is in his head. Overall he is a passive player and lacks confidence. He is a rule follower by nature and doesn’t improvise very often. If the coach says do this, then he does that regardless of whether it makes sense in some game situations. He has good technique and can be a good shooter but doesn’t shoot very often. He is constantly looking for the player that has the better shot as opposed to seeing what he can create. He sees the court well. He does not want to be a selfish player and is far from it. He sizes up his competition and if he thinks they are better players he does not go hard for fear of failing. He always makes any team he tries out for and usually starts at the beginning of the season and little by little he works his way down the bench. He loves the game and constantly says he wants to keep playing. How can we help to convince him to be more confident and to produce in a game, to take the shot, or drive to the hoop? How do we help him with the mental aspect of the game and get him to be less passive? Any advise would be appreciated.

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2017, 10:12 
Site Admin

One idea is to send him to Attack & Counter basketball camp. I don't know if 3-days will be enough to make a difference but the message Don gives at the camp is exactly what he needs.
https://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/camps/instructors.asp?name=Don+Kelbick

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2017, 15:16 

The camp Jeff suggested is a good one. Sometimes all it takes is something like that for a switch to turn on for a kid. I say this all the time, but finding a good local coach for a few lessons can be a tremendous help, especially if they know specifically what you're trying to improve.

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2017, 09:32 

I would say go to one of those "Competitive Camps" my son just went to a John Lucas camp and those kids are so physical that he had to be! It changed his game and his life. John is AWESOME! Hope that helps.