All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 05 May 2017, 08:27 

Hi Breakthrough Basketball team. My son runs track in high school. I was wondering what the best track sports are best to help basketball athleticism. Is it the 100 meters, 400 meter, high jump, 800 meters etc.? Currently my son Chris runs the 400 and 800 meter relays. Thanks for all your great material on basketball.
Joseph

PostPosted: 05 May 2017, 09:59 

Sprinting is one of the best things you can do as a basketball playes. 100 meters is a little far (something closer to 50 might be better) but in regards to track... 100 meter is best option.

We generally recommend intervals to build endurance (and some speed too). An example of an interval would be sprint for 30 seconds, rest 30 seconds. Repeat. You can tweak the duration and rest period based on ability of the athlete.

Brian McCormick says:
"I have written previously about repeat hops, and I finally uploaded a video as a demonstration (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yb6HhQsLqYk). If I did only one exercise in my dynamic warmup, this is it. Also, if I was required to use one exercise to pick teams or evaluate players, this is my one exercise."

"I also believe the triple jump is the single best event in track and field, which could explain my bias. I believe the ability to perform repeat hops well demonstrates coordination and athleticism more than any other exercise."

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: 09 May 2017, 00:28 

Honestly, I would say just participating in Track will help.. keeps the kids busy and less time for them to sit on their electronics on the couch!

PostPosted: 13 May 2017, 10:06 

Thank you coach for your help on this topic.
Joseph