All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 20 Apr 2017, 05:55 

I was curious if you could offer some suggestions on increasing speed. My daughter is 11 and will be 12 in May. We have often worked on speed. She does agility workouts on ladders and does some strength training for her core, etc. We often do some drills at the gym that involve timing her from one end of the gym to the other. The thing that is confusing is that she seems to be getting slower as she gets older. Just a few months ago her times were nearly a second faster than they are now. My questions are: Is it typical for a kid to get slower? any suggestions as to why this might be happening? She isn't gaining weight she is in very good shape. How important is foot speed? She is a point guard so it seems like its something we should work on. Thanks

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2017, 07:34 
Site Admin

I'm no expert. But I think the three best things you can do for speed and agility are:

1) sprint. simply do 10-40 yard sprints a couple times a week.

2) play 1v1 full court defense against good athletic players a couple times a week.

3) play other seasonal sports and games like soccer, flag football, tag, etc.

It's strange to get slower a year later. Maybe technique changed. I don't time kids from year to year so I don't know how common that is. Might just be an anomaly.

I do think speed and agility is important for any basketball player. Skill, athleticism, size, and mentally are all equally important factors that play into the level of a players performance.

I personally don't think agility ladder exercises do much for quickness unless you are programming new and better foot patterns for an athlete. And then even if you do that you need to move away from the ladder to fully train the new foot pattern. I'm not bashing agility ladders... it's a good tool... for trainers that know what they are doing. For the typical person using them, the main benefit is foot coordination and provides a good warm up exercise.

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2017, 07:47 

Thanks for your reply it was helpful. What do you mean by playing 1 vs 1 full court defense? Do you mean playing a game of one on one full court? Thanks

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2017, 12:06 

One thought is she could be growing, I know my son changed a lot from 12-18. As he started to get taller it almost seemed like his athleticism was catching up with his body. Has your family physician throw out any "she looks like she could turn out to be this tall"?

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2017, 12:40 

She's growing at about the same rate she always has about 2 1/2 inches a year and no the physician hasn't said anything about how tall she may end up being

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2017, 09:26 
Site Admin

1 v 1 full court drill. Start under opposite basket. Hand offensive player the ball. Defend them full court while offense tries to advance the ball and score on opposite basket (full court 1v1).

Defender should pressure and stay close enough to touch offensive player. Have to work hard.