All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 18 Jan 2016, 12:22 

My daughter is 10 years old. We have been practicing year round anywhere from 4 to 6 days a week for the last 3 or 4 years. I was just wondering if you thought that was a good idea or if we should take periods of time away from the game? If so how long should we take off? I believe you also recommend participating in other sports as well but should we continue to practice basketball while those other sports are taking place? Thanks

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2016, 14:25 
Site Admin

Yes. Definitely take breaks. There aren't many players that can go all year round without getting burned out eventually. Too many kids get burned out before they even get to high school. It also lends to injury and muscle imbalance issues.

My daughter is also 10... almost 11. Here's what we do...

- plays basketball competitively from Nov 1 to Feb 29. She practices 2-3 times a week and then has a couple tournaments each month.
- attends a few summer basketball camps and has a few preseason bball practice in October.
- plays soccer competitively in the spring and fall
- plays recreational softball in the summer
- participates in dance during the school year (once a week)

There is no way I would want my daughter playing basketball all year round. I want her to develop as an athlete and develop a love for whatever sports she chooses... if she decides to play sports. They best way to do that is play multiple sports seasonally.

Soccer is great for her basketball development... spatial awareness, seeing the floor, decision making, agility, foot coordination, etc. Other sports are good too.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2016, 17:22 

JeffHaefner wrote:
There is no way I would want my daughter playing basketball all year round. I want her to develop as an athlete and develop a love for whatever sports she chooses... if she decides to play sports. They best way to do that is play multiple sports seasonally.
^Amen and pass the gravy. We definitely mixed it up all the way up to the end of 6th grade. From K - 6th we were playing soccer, flag football and basketball. My son also dabbled in gymnastics and swimming. All these were with friends, so it turned out to be more of a fun social deal anyway. It wasn't until around the end of 6th grade that basketball became the primary focus, but it was obvious my son wanted to do it.

Youth sports can do a number on your head. It's tough to find a balance when you feel like your kid is "missing out" by not playing a season or practicing enough.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2016, 18:52 

Thank you both very much for the advice. Sounds like soccer may be a good thing to try for sure. I do appreciate the input

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2016, 10:16 

How does your daughter feel? Does she want to try another sport? She is so young that it might be time to turn her attention to another sport. I'd be sure that she has time for friends other than on the sports field as well. We'd want her to be a well rounded young woman.