All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 14 Jul 2013, 20:18 

My sons (11 year and 8 year ods) personal basketball coach said their wrist movements are weak when doing dribbles (like crossover dribbles).

I was researching. it seems that some hand exerciser (such as Gripmaster Hand Exerciser) is a good fit for them to 'play with' at home to improve their hand/finger strength. they also play piano. so I thought it would kill two birds with one stone.

do you have better recommendations?. I do know that they need to play actual basketball more.
but I thought it wouldn't hurt to strength their hand/figures using those things when they are at home watching TV or just playing with us.

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2013, 07:07 
Site Admin

Using the Gripmaster Hand Exerciser wouldn't hurt to strengthen hands / fingers. But it's limited on what muscles are getting worked and only targeting a fraction of the muscles used when dribbling a basketball, etc.

Something else to do would be (these are all stationary dribbling exercises)....

- pound the ball with right hand as hard as you can for 30 seconds (try to put dents in the floor!!)
- repeat with left
- 1-2 dribble cross overs.... you just cross over and then come right back as hard as you can (1-2). repeat for 60 seconds. you are really trying for max speed and power with the ball. you'll probably lose the repeatedly. that is good and will take time to develop strength and coordination for this dribble. the cross over should be wide, powerful and exaggerated. get the whole body into it.
- do the same thing 1-2, except start on the left side

Try the exercises 3-6 times per week. Duration and reps can be slowly increased increased as strength and muscle endurance improves.

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2013, 14:34 

Thanks for the advise. I will do both. I will get the hand Exerciser and put it in the car. they can 'play with' it when they are in the car or at home. Then try to them to do heavy dribble as you suggested.

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2013, 12:04 

Can't hurt to have them do some type of hand exercising. I'm a bigger advocate of what Jeff suggested though.

If you search on YouTube for stationary basketball dribbling drills, you can find several good drills that would help your boys. Even though you mentioned you're not too familiar with basketball, you can help by giving them instructions. For example, telling them how high to dribble (ankle, knee, waist, head and when to switch), when to switch hands, etc. It just helps keep things moving.

I'd recommend mixing in some fun stuff with the dribbling drills like shooting games or some type of movement. Then going back to the dribbling drills. There are some fun dribbling drills where you add a tennis ball in the mix.

PostPosted: 02 May 2016, 14:32 

The coaches have first hand experience, I would definitely take their advice. I don't think the hand exerciser would be harmful. In the beginning they will use it all day. Each day after they will find it less and less fun to do. Lots of Luck. You sound like a great parent.