All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 30 Nov 2009, 20:20 

Do you have any running workouts for getting into shape. There is alot of running in basketball, this year our girls have a new coach and it doesn't look like they do hardly any running at all. Can you send me some drills that I can have my daughter do at home.

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2009, 10:51 

Remember that basketball is only fun when you have the ball in your hands and when it is a game (competitive). If you have a basket a home, I would suggest you work on skill development with a ball (or even two balls at time). This is challenging, but kids like to rise to a change.

One drill that works cardio in a small area of space like a driveway is the Lebo Drill (named for the former UNC player and current coach of Auburn).
Have your daughter start at the right elbow, take one dribble in for a right handed layup, rebound before the ball hits the floor and sprint 1 dribble back to the right elbow.
She will now dribble across the lane and attempt a left hand reverse layup (again only 1-2 dribbles).
Then she rebounds, sprint dribbles to the left elbow and proceeds to do a left handed layup followed by a right hand reverse (from the left elbow). She should continue making layups until she makes 8. Then rest.
I don't know her skill level or age, but here are some guidlines:

8-10 years, make 5 layups in 45-60 seconds
10-12 make, 8 layups in 45-60 seconds
13-15 make, 10 layups in 45-60 seconds
15-up 10 layups in 30 seconds.

If you want your daughter to be in great running shape, she could be on the cross country team. But remember basketball conditioning is a bit different, She needs to be able to have quick aerobic endurance. She needs to be able to go as hard as she can for 45-60 seconds, have a short break and do it again.

Randolph School
Huntsville, AL

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2009, 11:17 

I absolutely agree that having a basketball in your hand truly makes 'conditioning' a lot more interesting and specific. Conditioning and skill development should be able to work together. Since you training is basketball-specific, I would not recommend cross country. It works a different muscle fiber and can actually train your body to be 'slow'....for a long distance of time! Short bursts of speed and a focus on 'recovery time' is basketball specific. If you want to take it a step further, basketball is comprised of 4 specific ground-based movements - sprint, backpedal, shuffle, and a crossover step. Added to that is jumping and explosive drills.....sorry, I could on and on about that....here's a quick (10 minute) basketball-specific, explosive workout that you can do in the driveway that can supplement your in-season practices and games:
BALL HANDLING WARM-UP
Figure 8 No Dribble
High Bounce Crossover (shoulders, waist, knees, ankles)
1-hand POUND dribble to shoulder (both hands)
SPEED WORKOUT
Run baseline to top of the key and do a ‘closeout’ movement, crossover step and run to ‘block area’ on left side, back to top of the key, and run to right side block (Perform 3 to each block). You could also end the drill with 3 big vertical jumps.
Develop an area (mark with tape or cones or whatever) that is about 12 feet wide. With a basketball in your hand – shuffle back and forth while dribbling with inside hand 3X. REST. Repeat but run forward and then backward. REST. Repeat original shuffling movement. Each ‘rep’ should be as fast as possible and then rest for 2 times as long.
10 X-OUT LAYUPS
Inside out dribble around the ELBOWS on the free throw line – shoot 10
2 FREE THROWS
3 DRIBBLE MOVES WITH LAY-UP FINISH (BOTH SIDES, 2 TIMES IN A ROW - REST/RECOVER)
Speed Dribble
Hesitation Dribble – Stand up, pause, and GO
Stutter Step and GO
2 FREE THROWS
3 DRIBBLE MOVES WITH JUMPSHOT
Speed Dribble
Hesitation Dribble – Stand up, pause, and GO
Stutter Step and GO
2 FREE THROWS

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2009, 10:36 

do you have basketball drills for an 8 yr old. The running drills i asked for were for my 17 yr old.

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2009, 19:49 

Coach Hoyt has given you some great drills to aid you in your conditioning. What i do is run a series of full court and half court drills and run them all under game conditions. after every tough drill, i end it with one and a bonus. If they miss either one of the shots, they must sprint the sidelines defensive slide the end lines then get ready for the next set of drills. Many coaches advocate taking ten or even twenty free throws in a row. In my opinion, that only grooves the shot. In no time in any game will you get ten or twenty free throws in a row. Once they get to a point where they are making most of their one and ones, I tell them that iron does not count meaning that if they dont want to run they must hit nothing but cord. Keeping players constantly under pressurized situations in practices, aids them in managing pressure situations during actual games.

Coach Mac