All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 19 Nov 2009, 12:01 

Hello, my daughter just made her varsity high school BB team as a freshman. She will be playing the position of point guard the coach would like to start her depending on how she does the first couple of games. She has the skills for that level but not the physicality of the older players she will go against. What are your opinions about freshman playing varsity BB as opposed to JV and could that erode her confidence depending on how bad or good the team is. Thanks.

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2009, 12:54 

Hi,

As a former varsity coach I would say this to you. Have faith that the coach has seen something in your daughter that makes him believe that she will be successful... and this tells me that she has a bright future ahead of her.
I had some short sophomores play for me and boys bball is much more physical than the girls game. The first year I brought up a sophomore, his mom was concerned also. I told her that I would treat him as if he were my own son. I'm sure that this coach will not put your daughter into a situation that will harm her in any way.
Could it be that she is head and shoulders ahead of any other point guard on the team? IF so, she has earned the chance to play there and you as parents and she should feel honored. Hopefully she will be successful.
Be patient and see how it goes..... this will be a learning situation for her ...
If things don't go as well as the coach thought it would, I'm sure he will make some adjustments. (maybe he is planning for the future of the program?)
IF you are still unsure, ask the coach if you can meet with him and voice your concerns. Again, be patient and listen to him/her and see what the plans are.
I wish you both well.

Ken