All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 14 Feb 2014, 12:01 

I hesitqated sending this.... but if it can help.....

I came out of the Army at 21, started to coach at this catholic grammar school... football, basketball and baseball. Got to the baseball season, had this little guy ( 4'10" ) looked like a natural to me. Golden Glove and hit a ton in batting practice.... get to the game.... NOTHING.

Finally, one game I am on the bench and I say to this one kid, " what's with Tommy? " Kid says, you don't know. No I don't. He said that last summer (at 11) he hit a kid in the head with a line drive and the kid died that night. WOW.... How does a young kid deal with that along with me at 21. Fortunately we developed a good relationship.

We did a lot of extra batting practice that year in the summer, that way I got a chance to talk to him alone. I treaded lightly because obviously he was still hurting. We talked about injuries a little bit as kids got bumps and bruises during practice and games. I don't know if I had anything to do with it, but it took over a year before he began to deal with it. By the time he was in 8th grade things seem to get a little better.

He started to mature when he got to high school and his hitting was a lot better, getting bigger and stronger will do that for you. I played a lot of 12 inch fast pitch, he watched me play a few games and after college he ended up playing on our team..... he hit a ton.

I guess its all about time and patience here with your son....

Seeing a counselor is a good idea also... especially IF you are not getting anywhere yourself.