All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 10 Feb 2014, 23:47 

My daughter is playing in a beginner/basics league for 2nd & 3rd grade. In tonight's game, one of the players on the opposing team would squat very low (almost sitting on the floor) behind the defending player, then try to sneak away when the defender wasn't looking. I have never played basketball, but in other sports I played, the refs would have blown the whistle because a down player means "injured".

It seemed a dangerous thing to do...the position this girl was in basically forced the defender to only be able to look at her instead of paying attention to the game. She could no longer keep track of the girl with a quick glance. If our player tried to look towards the action, she risked tripping over the girl yet if our player took caution to not trip over the girl, she risked being hit by the ball or run into by other players.

Is squatting on the court during gameplay normally allowed?

Thank you.

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2014, 09:13 

I'm a Cleveland Cavaliers fan, I've seen them take many "squats" on the court in the last few seasons and the refs have never called anything! (ok, sorry, had to do it)

In all seriousness, what you describe sounds like a very odd thing, but I think you're going to be hard pressed to get a ref to actually do anything about it.

Maybe if you calmly, but loudly point out the ref that you feel it's a safety issue, the other teams coach will hear you and give his player better instructions on how to get open.

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2014, 09:46 

Cleveland fan? OK, I wont hold that agaisnt you haha.

I cant imagine why the other coach wouldn't talk to his players and teach them the proper way to get open. Setting up behind a player before they make a move to get open is ok.... you see that a lot vs zones.. but to squat on the floor?? Safety issue I would think.

First of all, that certainly wouldn't help her to get a quick start since she would have to get up before she moved.

Why don't you talk to the refs before your next game and ask about that situation?

OK, Coach Mac, you said you reffed games - what is your take on this?

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2014, 12:28 

Coach Sar wrote:
I cant imagine why the other coach wouldn't talk to his players and teach them the proper way to get open. Setting up behind a player before they make a move to get open is ok.... you see that a lot vs zones.. but to squat on the floor?? Safety issue I would think.
Would agree here, the coach should be telling this player to stand up. Not so sure the refs can call something unless someone trips over the player. I think this more a case of a 2nd grader being a goofy 2nd grader. Don't see a problem catching the refs and telling them you're concerned about a safety issue of your player tripping.