All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 10 Sep 2013, 07:57 

Love this website. Love your products. I wish we lived closer to KC as we would be attending every camp you guys have.

My son is about turn 11 and he is a gym rat. He plays nearly every day. In fact, we have had to impose a mandatory day off each week. He shoots on his own, does drills, works with private coaches (high school kids) and plays pick up. Does lots of camps in the summer and is on competitive team most of the year.

He is a tall for his age, 5'3". No doubt because of all the time in the gym, he is an exceptional shooter for his age. He is also a very good dribbler. He is not as quick as most of the good players his age; but, he is a pretty good athlete and his length is really helpful.

Given all that, he is just normally not very aggressive. On defense he does pretty well man-to-man, but he is not an aggressive rebounder. He is not a kid that is going to be on the floor getting loose balls. On offense, he plays kind of like a European big man. He floats around the outside and shoots jumpers. He has really good shot fakes and driving ability. He uses those skills rarely.

We have played him with older kids. I was hopeful that the older kids would take away the jump shot and force him to be more aggressive. But, in reality it seems like the older kids are better at finding him while he is roaming around on the perimeter. He actually seems to score more points when he is playing with older kids. But, it really hasn't helped his aggression.

What are your thoughts on the aggression? Many people I talk to say it will come when he gets older. I hope that is right because he is really skilled. He loves drills so if there is anything on that front I could have one of his coaches incorporate it into his workout. Not sure how to talk with him about it. He is so young.

Your help would be appreciated.

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2013, 08:39 

J-

Your son is very young, I wouldn't worry too much about how aggressive he is at that this point in his life. You say he is an exceptional shooter and dribbles well.... That puts him way ahead of a lot of players his age and some older ones.

As he gets older and stronger, he will get a little quicker, especially if he is working as hard as you are saying.... making him take a day off is also a good thing. Does he play other sports? I would suggest that too, keeps him from burning out and it will develop other parts of his body.

Maybe he will end up a great 3 point shooter, who knows. A lot of young kids don't like to dive on the floor.... but you might come up with some sort of game where he will have to be more aggressive? I take it, he is very competitive? Think about a game where the only shots they can take are ones going to the basket after a shot fake? 1 point for the fake, 1 point for the take and 2 points if they make the shot. Get some of the one penny (?) frozen pops - winner gets one.

As for diving... if you have any mats, have them dive on mats after a ball.... let them get used to that and hopefully it will transfer to games? A frozen pop to anyone who dives after a loose ball. Same thing for charges if you can get them to do that.

If he is old enough to understand about game changers... (which is what I call them) talk to him about these.... 1- Loose balls ( gives you an extra possession. ) 2- Charges (takes away the advantage from the offensive team) {is he old enough to understand that?} 3- Rebounding / defensive..... if you are going to play hard D and not rebound, you will get beat - Offensive.... gives you a chance for an extra shot and score. All of these give you an extra possession... the difference between a W or L. Winning is not so important at his age... being fundamentally sound is. THAT will pay off as he gets older.

This might be a little much for him because of his age, you know him and we don't. Give him a little of this at a time. I just think that the competitive drills or games can help him to become a little more aggressive. Be patient with him, he's still a youngster. I want to add this... make sure he is HAVING FUN.

I hope this helps.

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2013, 08:46 

Here is a poem that you can save and as he gets a little older, sit down and read it to him.... maybe have him put it up in his room? I don't think that you have to worry to much about winning at his age..... like I said before, FUNDAMENTALS and learning how to play the game... and HAVING FUN.

It was only one possession, why must my coach scream? My poor defense permitted the basket, but what can one hoop mean?

As the pass comes my direction, and I fumble it in the stands, the coach’s voice rings loud and clear, “Catch with your eyes and hands!”

C’mon coach, it’s a single possession. Our team will be okay. It’s just the first two minutes. My gosh, we’ve got all day!

Later in the half I remember, that the center is strong and stout. A put back for two is quite simply due, to my failure to turn and box out!

But it was only one possession. I didn’t commit a crime. My team is ahead and I’m playing well, and there’s still plenty of time!

As the halftime buzzer is sounding, and I watch the ball bank in, I know I will hear from my loving coach, of my questionable effort to defend.

But it was only one possession. Coach, don’t have a heart attack! We are down by one, but we are having fun, and I know we’ll get the lead back!

The second half mirrors the first. But it’s early. It’s not a big deal, that my failure to use a pass fake, results in an unlikely steal.

But quickly I sink a jumper. I’m greeted by high fives and slaps. But the next possession I give up a lay-up, while suffering a mental lapse.

But, it’s only one possession. C’mon coach, chill out! It’s crazy to you see you disgusted, as you slap the assistant and shout.

“Victory favors the team making the fewest mistakes. Single possessions are the key. So treat them like gold and do as you’re told. And, play with intensity.”

I step to the line for one and one, but I’m having a concentration lapse. The ball soars through the air, but good Lord, it’s a brick, and I’m afraid the support will collapse.

In post game I sit at my locker, pondering what more I could do. I realize now the value of each possession. For what a shame, we lost by two

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2013, 09:12 

Great poem an great advise. Thank you. I will read the poem to him when the time is right I will also talk about the game changers.

He does not play anything other than basketball, BTW. We forced him to play baseball two summers ago and he was miserable. Actually, a pretty good ballplayer - but, miserable. I worry about burnout. I used to encourage him to practice and facilitate in any way I could. I have pulled back from that. It is now more him than me/mom. We do schedule one or two private workouts a week. But, that is it.

He has a rule that all of his homework must be done, he must be averaging an A in every subject. If school is taken care of, if there are no other activities scheduled and if he makes sure his basketball bag is in his mom's car - she will take him to the YMCA after school from 330-500. He does it nearly every day, without fail.

He does have other interests and things that he does regularly. Just not other sports.

Thank you for the advice on the aggression part. I get stuck on the fact that some many kids his age are very successful based upon on aggression alone. He has the skill. So, if he was more aggressive he would be a dominant player. But, your right the key is that he is learning the fundamentals now and having fun.

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2013, 09:16 

Why don't you take him swimming or something like that where the family can have fun..... you can always invite one of his friends. Anythng to get his mind off of JUST BASKETBALL. So many kids burn out from just doing one sport.

I hope things work out for you and him.

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2013, 09:20 

Thanks good advice. And Coach, I forgot to mention...........but, I am afraid those frozen pops cost a lot more than a penny now (:-)

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2013, 09:30 

I thought so too.... heck, they are only $35 a case... not sure how many in a case.

http://www.northernsafety.com/Product/24791/Sqwincher-Sqweeze-Freezer-Pops-Single-Serving-Assorted-Flavors-3oz

As you can tell, its been a long time since I ran a camp for younger kids. They loved those single frozen pops. Some would get upset if they didn't win one. One kid won them every day until one day he lost the contest... you would have thought I took his basketball away from him... LOL I got them at the local Jewel and they were pretty cheap back then.