All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 04 Jun 2013, 13:19 

When a player "commits" to a college during her junior year, would it make sense for that player to work as hard her senior year since she already has a full scholarship to university; and CIF titles; and a State Championship under her belt? Wouldnt it make better sense to breeze through the senior year?

I ask this question becuase there is an awful lot of things happening with the returning players (after winning titles); some are injured or have other obligations. High school basketball does not seem to be a priority for them. As a result, my daughter is truly the only Post player who is practicing right now. She is vying for a position on Varsity and at 6'1, we think she has a chance (she'll be a senior this year and is getting some looks but they are not solid). My daughter is no threat at this juncture as she doesnt have the same level of experience as these other players but she does have a presence.

What advice would you give my daughter playing under this climate?

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2013, 14:11 
Site Admin

All players are different. Hard telling what is going on with the players missing and/or getting scholarships. Maybe they are taking a break. Maybe they really have personal stuff going on. You can't worry about that. You can only control what you can control.

Your daughter should talk to the coaches, find out what to work on, find out how she can help the team, and work hard. Succeed or fail there are lessons to be learned. She is in complete control of what she does to prepare. She can control how aggressively she rebounds, how hard she works at learning the offense and defense, how hard she sprints the floor in transition, etc. But she can't control what others do.

Here are some other things she can do:
http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/players/10-basketball-tips-playing-time.html

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2013, 13:42 

I agree with Jeff - your daughter controls what she does, not the other players. To me, an "athlete" is just that.... and the good ones work hard at their game. IF I was a college coach and saw them loaf in games I wouldn't be very happy, I might even talk that person and find out what is wrong. Why are you playing that way??

As for your daughter.... she should work on her game and do her best to win a starting position on her team. THAT is under her control. Coaches watch for players that are hard workers, the ones that are trying to improve themselves every day in practice. Go out and prove your worth to the coaching staff.