All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 16 Jan 2013, 09:48 

Hi my son is 15 and is 6'3 and loves basketball but I am concerned that he is going to quit after this year. He has never played on "A" squad or on the elite traveling team. He is reserved and a lot of times passes the ball instead of taking the shot. He has talent and when it\'s just him practicing he makes amazing shots but in the game he just doesn't possess that confidence. His coach was the traveling team coach for his classmates and is a dad of one of his friends on the A squad--he has said that the coach has threatened to cut him from the team once when he wasn't hustling enough and has said that the coach just doesn't like me. He is said because this summer just the A squad will be able to have a travel squad and will be playing in games (all of which are his friends) but he won\'t because he didn't make the squad. In his 1st game this season--he took 2 shoots in the game and made both but ran for the ball and hit his shoulder--breaking his growth plate in his shoulder. He has just been approved to come back and play but is struggling. My husband and I tell him to practice and that a lot can happen in the period of now to next year and that this summer he can do some good bb camps even out-of-state and away from his peers if he likes. I would just like some advice or resources for him. Thanks!

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2013, 10:43 

This is tough... going to camps to improve his skills and get to play is a good idea. The only way he is going to gain some confidence is through playing. Find some place where he can get some playing time to improve his game.

Maybe a personal trainor if that is within you budge?

He is at the age where winning is very important to players, parents and coaches... varsity ball next year? IF he doesn't make the team, find a league where he can play and have some fun... thats where he can improve his confidence and enjoy the game, after all, thats what its all about!

He is 6'3 and still growing I imagine... one thing a coach cant do is teach growing...everybody is looking for big kids that can play.

Good luck!