Q & A Forum
Experienced coaches are ready to answer your basketball questions! Visit our forum
Youth Skills Camp
Developing The Complete Player
Shawnee, Kansas - June 5 - 8, 2017
Elite Skills Coach Troy Slavin!
** 20% early bird discount expires April 15th! **
This is a youth and middle school camp in Shawnee, KS that focuses on developing the complete player. You will develop shooting, ball handling, passing, footwork, defense, rebounding, athleticism, and other essential skills to become a great a basketball player.
- You will learn the techniques and skill needed to become a great shooter.
- You will learn the essential skills to becoming a great ball handlerů no fluff.
- You will learn how to make more lay ups.
- You will learn how to become a defensive stopper and rebounding machine.
- You will learn the critical components of basketball IQ required to become a great offensive player from an individual and team aspect.
- Basically, we will teach you all of the critical skills and concepts that coaches love and help players excel.
Here are some of the topics covered throughout the camp:
- Stationary ball handling routine that improve rhythm, feel, and coordination with the basketball.
- Dribbles move to help you blow by the defense at will.
- Critical progressions to ensure that your dribble moves are effective and explosive.
- How to position your feet and align your body to increase the chance of shooting the ball straight.
- A form shooting routine that almost every great shooter has utilized that can be done at home.
- Proper footwork and how to develop a quick release.
- How to shoot game shots from game spots at game speeds.
Lay Ups / Finishing
- Finishing techniques used to reduce turnovers and make more shots.
- 1 on 1 finishing drills that ingrain good habits while competing in a fun way.
Defense and Rebounding
- How to improve quickness and play better on-ball defense.
- How to improve speed with hip-turns, push step, and better movement fundamentals.
- 5 fundamental keys to effective close-outs.
- How position away from the ball and be a great team defensive player.
- How to effectively box out your man every time.
- How to cut and get open. You will learn v-cuts, basket cuts, l-cuts, backdoor cuts, and more.
- How to attack down screens, back screens, and more.
- How to use your feet to gain a better position to score from almost anywhere on the floor.
- How to utilize front pivots, reverse pivots, step throughs, sweeps, drop steps, and hops to make you an elite player.
- Improve hand eye-coordination and passing skills with the Steve Nash passing series.
- Competitive passing drills to develop game-like passing with head and pass fakes.
Competitive Play and Controlled Scrimmages
Players will also get to take the skills they practiced and apply them in a game setting. This is fun and intense.
The games are set up, so the players have to give maximum effort and execute proper fundamentals. Players earn points for proper play and are deducted points for poor effort and execution.
Who Can Participate?
This camp is for boys & girls 4th-9th grades, ages/skill levels will be separated.
Who is Troy Slavin?
Troy Slavin graduated from Northeast High School where he was selected First Team All CNC League and All Tournament Team at the Riverton Invitational while averaging 19 points a game, with a CNC season high game of 35 pts. An athletic six foot guard known for his leaping ability, Troy once shattered a backboard and led the CNC in dunks his senior year.
Troy accepted a basketball scholarship to Fort Scott Community College but injuries soon ended his college career. He went on to graduate with a Bachelors degree in Radio and TV Production from Kent State University, and began a career in professional broadcasting for some of the nation's premiere radio stations. At 35, he was nominated for radio's highest honor, the Marconi Award, as the nation's best Large Market Personality. At 37, he was awarded the Butterfly Award, the highest honor given by the Children's Cancer Research Fund, for his work in raising over six million dollars to find a cure.
During his radio career Troy stayed connected to basketball and kids, coaching at St. John the Baptist in Minnesota and playing in exhibition games against the University of Kentucky and Deion Sanders' Dallas Cowboy All Stars. His career took him inside Minnesota Timberwolves practice with Kevin McHale and Sam Mitchell, and on the court to learn a few tricks from the legendary Harlem Globetrotters.
Troy has head coach, assistant coach and instructor experience with kids of all ages and abilities. He is ASEP certified in Coaching and First Aid. His unusual life experience and unique communication and motivational skills all come into play as he teaches the game he loves to young people.
Troy also directs Breakthrough Camps for the Kansas City region. You can view the camps at the following link:
3rd to 5th grade
Tuesday, June 5, 2017 -- 9:00 AM to 11:00 AM
Wednesday, June 6, 2017 -- 9:00 AM to 11:00 AM
Thursday, June 7, 2017 -- 9:00 AM to 11:00 AM
Friday, June 8, 2017 -- 9:00 AM to 11:00 AM
6th to 8th grade
Tuesday, June 5, 2017 -- 11:00 AM to 1:00 PM
Wednesday, June 6, 2017 -- 11:00 AM to 1:00 PM
Thursday, June 7, 2017 -- 11:00 AM to 1:00 PM
Friday, June 8, 2017 -- 11:00 AM to 1:00 PM
Each session is limited to 40 players to ensure a high number of repetitions and improvement
Good Shepherd Church
12800 W 75th Street
Shawnee, KS 66216
Travel and Accommodation Options
Camp attendees can get a 10-15% discount by using this link and booking any hotel owned by the Wyndham Hotel Group (Days Inn, Ramada, Baymont, Microtel, Super 8, Howard Johnson, Travelodge, Knights Inn and Wingate). Find a nearby Wyndham hotel and get the Breakthrough Basketball discount.
$120 $96 (Sign up before April 15th and receive 20% off!)
Players - Sign Up Now to Reserve Your Spot:Fill out this form to sign up and reserve your spot:
Coaches can attend for free by working the camp. Email us if you're interested in helping with the camp.
Otherwise there is a $97 fee to attend as an "observing coach". You will get to learn new drills and techniques from Troy Slavin, just like all the players and other coaches in attendance. Visit this link to reserve your spot as an observing coach.
If you have any questions, don't hesitate to email us or request a phone call.
Breakthrough Basketball, LLC.