Q & A Forum
Experienced coaches are ready to answer your basketball questions! Visit our forum
Announcing Breakthrough Basketball Complete Youth Skills Camp
Coming to Atlanta, Georgia!
June 27-29, 2017
Elite Skills Coach Dexter Lyons!
We're excited to provide this 3 day youth and middle school camp in Atlanta, Georgia that focuses on developing the complete player. You will develop shooting, ball handling, passing, footwork, defense, rebounding, athleticism, and other essential skills to become a great a basketball player.
- You will learn the techniques and skill needed to become a great shooter.
- You will learn the essential skills to becoming a great ball handlerů no fluff.
- You will learn how to make more lay ups.
- You will learn how to become a defensive stopper and rebounding machine.
- You will learn the critical components of basketball IQ required to become a great offensive player from an individual and team aspect.
- Basically, we will teach you all of the critical skills and concepts that coaches love and help players excel.
Here are some of the topics covered throughout the camp:
- Stationary ball handling routine that improve rhythm, feel, and coordination with the basketball.
- Dribbles move to help you blow by the defense at will.
- Critical progressions to ensure that your dribble moves are effective and explosive.
- How to position your feet and align your body to increase the chance of shooting the ball straight.
- A form shooting routine that almost every great shooter has utilized that can be done at home.
- Proper footwork and how to develop a quick release.
- How to shoot game shots from game spots at game speeds.
Lay Ups / Finishing
- Finishing techniques used to reduce turnovers and make more shots.
- 1 on 1 finishing drills that ingrain good habits while competing in a fun way.
Defense and Rebounding
- How to improve quickness and play better on-ball defense.
- How to improve speed with hip-turns, push step, and better movement fundamentals.
- 5 fundamental keys to effective close-outs.
- How position away from the ball and be a great team defensive player.
- How to effectively box out your man every time.
- How to cut and get open. You will learn v-cuts, basket cuts, l-cuts, backdoor cuts, and more.
- How to attack down screens, back screens, and more.
- How to use your feet to gain a better position to score from almost anywhere on the floor.
- How to utilize front pivots, reverse pivots, step throughs, sweeps, drop steps, and hops to make you an elite player.
- Improve hand eye-coordination and passing skills with the Steve Nash passing series.
- Competitive passing drills to develop game-like passing with head and pass fakes.
Competitive Play and Controlled Scrimmages
Players will also get to take the skills they practiced and apply them in a game setting. This is fun and intense.
The games are set up, so the players have to give maximum effort and execute proper fundamentals. Players earn points for proper play and are deducted points for poor effort and execution.
Who Can Participate?
This camp is for boys & girls 4th-9th grades, ages/skill levels will be separated.
Who is Dexter Lyons?Here are some of Coach Dexter Lyons Achievements & Experience:
- 2000-2002 Played at Daytona Beach Community College
- 2002-2004: Played D1 at the University of Central Florida
- 2001-02: Conference Defensive Player of the Year
- 2003-04: NBA Summer League (Orlando Magic)
- Conference Defensive Player of the Year (A-Sun), First Team All-Conference (A- Sun), NCAA Tournament Participant
- 2004-05 NBA Summer League (Boston Celtics), First Team All-League, First Team All-Imports, Team MVP
- 2006-07: 3rd Round 33rd Overall Pick in 2006
- NBA Development League Draft (Idaho Stampede)
- 2007-08: League Champion, League Cup Finalist 2009-10: Spain LEB Silver League Champion
- 2011-12: Player of Week (Miyazaki)
- 2012-13: 2 time MVP of the Week (Takamatsu)
- 2003-2006 was a Camp Coach/Counselor at the Kirk Speraw Camp at USF
- Held leading role as camp advisor for summer basketball program by providing direct supervision and fundamental basketball instruction to children ages 9 to 13
- Assisted the Head Coach in scheduling events, and contribute to the development of plans for the basketball camp and game responsibilities
- Served as Camp Coach and positive role model for children attending basketball camp by displaying enthusiasm, sense of humor and patience
- Assisted daily with coaching teams, officiating games, and scorekeeping while distributing game play time equally amongst all campers
- Responsible for coordinating the overall practice
- Coach Dexter has been working Breakthrough Basketball camps for the last two years, mostly working around the Southeast part of the country and based in Atlanta, Georgia
Tuesday June 27,2017 -- 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM
Wednesday June 28, 2017 -- 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM
Thursday June 29, 2017 -- 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM
Each session is limited to 40 players to ensure a high number of repetitions and improvement
Ninja Quest Fitness
1465 Canton Road. Suite 200
Marietta, GA 3006
Travel and Accommodation Options
Camp attendees can get a 10-15% discount by using this link and booking any hotel owned by the Wyndham Hotel Group (Days Inn, Ramada, Baymont, Microtel, Super 8, Howard Johnson, Travelodge, Knights Inn and Wingate). Find a nearby Wyndham hotel and get the Breakthrough Basketball discount.
Players - Sign Up Now to Reserve Your Spot:Fill out this form to sign up and reserve your spot:
Coaches can attend for free by working the camp. Email us if you're interested in helping with the camp.
Otherwise there is a $97 fee to attend as an "observing coach". You will get to learn new drills and techniques from Dexter Lyons, just like all the players and other coaches in attendance. Visit this link to reserve your spot as an observing coach.
If you have any questions, don't hesitate to email us or request a phone call.
Breakthrough Basketball, LLC.