Q & A Forum
Experienced coaches are ready to answer your basketball questions! Visit our forum
Announcing July 30 - August 3, 2018
Breakthrough Basketball Elite Skills & Leadership Camp in Mt. Pleasant, Utah!
Elite Skills Coach Jim Huber!
This is a 5-day,
overnight Elite Skills & Leadership basketball camp in Mt.
Every aspect of your game improves with this camp. You will learn the exact skills, drills, and training methods that the Breakthrough Staff has used to help players reach the NBA level.
Our Breakthrough Staff has trained some of the best players in the world that have gone on to become Olympic Gold Medalists, NBA All-Stars, WNBA All-Stars, Elite College Players (Michigan State, Duke, Kentucky – to name a few), and Numerous Player of the Year Awards at the high school level.
You need more than elite skills!
An elite skill level will help you advance in the game of basketball. However, your understanding of the game (basketball IQ), your ability to communicate, and your leadership skills are going to separate you from the pack.
On the court, you will be an extension of your head coach. Off the court, you will have learned a skill set that help you excel in whatever profession you choose after playing basketball.
Basketball Skills That You Will Learn At The Camp:
- The dribble pull up game that Russell Westbrook implements to develop quick release in mid-range game
- Three things you can do to get your shot off against bigger and more athletic defenders
- A routine that Steph Curry, Kyle Korver and Klay Thompson follow every day to make their shot consistent and repeatable
Ball Handling techniques used by Kyrie Irving, Steph Curry, Chris Paul, and Tony Parker
- Develop a skill of using a cut off dribble like Chris Paul to protect the ball, draw a foul and get to the free throw line
- Learn how to use the probe technique that Steph Curry and Tony Parker have used to attack the rim or create shots for teammates.
- Attacking full-court pressure and double-teams with poise and composure
- Develop habits that help reduce turnovers
Speed Agility – Strength Conditioning- Pre-Practice and Pre-Game Routines
- As an elite player you need to be the toughest player on the court mentally and physically, whether that is getting a stop, a rebound or scoring the winning basket.
- Exercises will be given to develop your core strength, hand strength, upper body strength and your explosiveness
- Create a routine that will get you ready when you walk in the gym for a practice, workout or game. The best players have a routine and stick to it.
- Learn how to prepare and train at a high level, prepare and execute a workout
Getting Open /Cutting / Screening
- Understand how to move without the basketball, playing with proper spacing and timing
- Learn how to use your inside hand like Kobe Bryant to get open on cuts without getting called for a foul
- Implement a cut into your game that will assist you in getting open against a quicker opponent
- A deceptive technique will be taught that can create a couple of easy baskets during the game
- Learn how to use a screen to create space for an open shot
- A simple technique that will save a ˝ second to get your teammate an open shot on a penetrate and pitch
- Using a one hand pass to be quicker delivering a pass to an open teammate
- Effectively being able to make passes into the post that lead to a scoring opportunities
- Learn ways to use your feet to create better passing angles and reduce deflections
- Crafty finishing moves to score against athletic and tall defenders. Learn how to attack their weakness put them in foul trouble and get to the foul line
- Learn a deceptive move that can be added into a reverse layup that will help create extra separation from a great shot blocker
- A move that will take away the defender’s momentum in transition to create space to finish at the rim
- Add an extra technique to the Euro Step getting the defender moving in two directions which will make it impossible to stop you
- Develop body control while attacking the basket, stopping on a dime and finishing through contact
Ball Screen Attack
- Learn the different ways Damian Lillard attacks ball screens to get to the rim, shoot a pull up and shoot behind the screen
- How to create scoring opportunities for your teammates by manipulating the help defense.
- Develop a skill set to decipher what coverage the defense is in and how to attack it.
- How to make sure your primary defender is ran into the screen every time to create advantages
- How to make plays for yourself attacking a flat ball screen and beating the second defender
- How to use active hands like Kawhi Leonard in getting deflections and steals that will lead to a couple easy baskets each game
- Prevent easy baskets with an effective strategy to slow down the opposing teams offensive transition
- 3 tips that Jimmy Butler uses to help him avoid getting screened during a game
- How to apply ball pressure without fouling that takes the opposing team out of their rhythm
- Learn multiple live ball moves that are designed to blow past your defender.
- Develop mid-range moves that will create 2-3 feet of separation from your defender to get an uncontested shot.
- Understand how to use Triple Threat in a way that gives you options to attack your defender no matter how they are guarding you.
Developing a Championship Mindset, Leadership Habits & Communication Skills To Excel On And Off The Court
Developing A Championship Mindset & Mental Toughness
- Learn strategies that professional and Olympic athletes have used to shift their mindset for success.
- How to exercise your mind to develop it into a championship mindset
- How to become stronger bouncing back from adversity and setbacks
- Being a leader people want to follow
- Learn the intangibles that make “Great Leader"
- 5 ways to ingrain successful leadership habits
- 7 tips that have made Chris Paul, Steph Curry and Tom Brady effective leaders
- How to effectively lead a huddle
- How to improve self-confidence and get more done with better self-discipline.
Communicating With Teammates, Coaches, & Referees
- Techniques how to get your teammates to work together and harder throughout the season
- Tips to make sure you and your teammates are better in practices and games
- How a few simple strategies with referees will get a few calls to go your way
- Develop communication skills that can be infectious in making your team a great communicating team
- Social media strategies that get people to want to help you
- Effective ways to handle peer pressure
Tips For Recruiting And Attracting Coaches
- What the 6% do to receive a college athletic scholarship
- What coaches are looking for in student-athletes
- Keys to being coachable
How To Be More Productive & Improve Performance Through Nutrition
- A goal setting system that makes your dreams become reality
- How to function at high levels with proper nutrition
- How to create an action plan to success
- 4 Strategies to become more effective in less time
Video Breakdown Analysis of Elite Players
You will get to see video breakdown analysis of some of the best basketball players in the world. You will see how they execute certain skills and make decisions on the basketball floor, so you apply it to your practice sessions to elevate to an even higher level of play.
Who Can Participate?
This camp is for boys & girls going into the 7th - 12th grades. Ages/skill levels will be separated.
Itinerary of your first day at camp:
Check In / Registration
|+ (click to expand)|
1st On Court Session
1st Classroom Session
2nd On Court Session
2nd Classroom Session
3rd On Court Session
3rd Classroom Session
4th On Court Session
4th Classroom Session
Shower / Dinner
Life Skills Training
Lights Out / Room Checks
Don't need room and board? Use promo code: NOSLEEP on the checkout page to receive $100 off the camp price. Please note: If you use this code you will NOT have the room and food package available to you. No exceptions made the first day of camp.
Q: When should I sign up for camp?
A: ASAP. The 20% early bird discount runs through April 15th, but spots are limited
+ (click to expand)
Q: What do I need to pack?
A: When you arrive the first day, wear basketball attire and be ready to go. You'll want to pack at least 4 days worth of basketball attire and maybe a 4 extra change of clothes in case you sweat a ton. You can change over lunch. Pack something comfortable to sleep in as well after you shower at the end of each day. Pack plenty of extra socks. Whatever else that would make you feel at home. The room accommodations will come with linens that will be provided and includes a flat sheet, fitted sheet, blanket, pillow, towels, hand towels and washcloths.
Q: What time should I arrive for check in on Monday?
A: We'll start the check in process at 7:30 AM. Be there by 8:30 AM so you have plenty of time to find your room, get settled in and be on the court at 9 AM for the start of camp.
Q: What time is check out?
A: We'll wrap up at noon on Friday.
Q: Where will my child sleep?
A: Your child will sleep in a dorm on campus. They will be paired up with the same gendered athlete unless you otherwise note that you would like your child to room with a friend. After you sign up and pay to reserve your spot and you want your child to room with a friend, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll make a note on his/her record.
Q: Can my child share a room with a friend?
A: Yes. After you sign up and pay to reserve your spot and you want your child to room with a friend, email us.
Q: Are boys and girls in the same dorms?
A: No, they will be separated
Q: Are the rooms furnished? Does my kid need to bring a sleeping bag/pillows?
A: Yes. However, they can bring their own pillow and blankets if they'd like.
Q: My child is on medication, how does the camp handle this?
A: Please email us or request a phone call.
Q: I will be sending my child to the camp by plane, how do we handle this?
A: We CAN NOT pick up or drop off unaccompanied minors at the airport.
Q: Will my child miss out on not attending the overnight sessions?
A: They will not miss out on any basketball related activities. They will miss out on some fun camp bonding and after basketball activities.
Q: Will my child be with kids in his/her age group?
A: Yes. We break out the campers by age group and gender. There may be a couple baskets that have a mix but we'll do our best to put any advanced athlete in an older age group or vice versa. The bulk of the camp is individual skill drills to make you a better player, so that doesn't matter much anyways until we get to competitive play.
Q: I have a question that isn't listed...
A: If you have any questions, don't hesitate to email us or request a phone call.
Lead Instructor - Jim Huber
Jim Huber has developed and coached some of the best players in the world including current NBA players and elite players that attended some of the best college programs in the nation such as Duke and Kentucky.
Some of Coach Jim Huber's coaching credentials include:
- Over 20 years of basketball coaching experience at the youth, high school, and college levels.
- Coached a team to a 1st place finish at the 2013 Nike Global Challenge.
- Coached at the Nike Elite 100 Camp which selects the top 100 high school players.
- #1 Team Defense at 2013 Nike EYBL which has the top 40 Nike
High School teams from North America and consists of 18 regular season
games. Qualified for 2013 Nike Peach Jam.
- A head coach for Mokan Basketball. Mokan is a direct Nike
sponsor program. In 2012 when Coach Huber was Director of Basketball
Operations, Mokan reached the Final Four at the Peach Jam, which only
selects the top 24 teams from the Nike Elite Youth Basketball League
- 45 Championships, 13 Runner-up Finishes, and 26 Final Four Finishes at regional and national tournaments since 2004.
- 42 Collegiate players and 22 at Division 1 level.
Monday July 30, 2018 -- 9:00 AM to 8:00 PM
Tuesday July 31, 2018 -- 9:00 AM to 8:00 PM
Wednesday August 1, 2018 -- 9:00 AM to 8:00 PM
Thursday August 2, 2018 -- 9:00 AM to 8:00 PM
Friday August 3, 2018 -- 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM
Each session is limited to 50 players to ensure a high number of repetitions and improvement
The camp is COMPLETE!
120 South 100 West
Mt Pleasant, UT 84647
Travel and Accommodation Options
Camp attendees can get a 10-15% discount by using this link and booking any hotel owned by the Wyndham Hotel Group (Days Inn, Ramada, Baymont, Microtel, Super 8, Howard Johnson, Travelodge, Knights Inn and Wingate). Find a nearby Wyndham hotel and get the Breakthrough Basketball discount.