Q & A Forum
Experienced coaches are ready to answer your basketball questions! Visit our forum
Ages: All Ages Youth Middle School High School+
Purpose of the Drill:
Coach Jim of the 5th grade Van Buren, Ohio Girls YMCA squad shared this great drill with us.
This drill encourages players to look up the floor and pass, rather than dribbling. You develop skills for rebounding, pivoting, jump stops, bounce and chest passes, lay-ups, power and speed dribble.
We like this drill because it utilizes so many skills and keeps our team moving up and down the court. We also turn it into a team competition against the clock that encourages everyone to work together.
- Set up: two balls needed. Divide your team into four or five equal groups (if you have extra players put them by basket in rebounding line). Start the first near the basket in rebounding position with the rest in a zig-zag pattern down the court.
- Coach takes shot or throws the ball off the backboard.
- 3 rebounds the ball passes to 5. 3 follows his pass to the next line.
- 5 comes toward the ball, jump stops ,pivots, passes up the court to 7 and follows the pass to the next line.
- 7 comes toward the ball, jump stops ,pivots, passes up the court to 9 and follows the pass to the next line.
- 9 comes toward the ball, jump stops ,pivots, and dribbles towards the hoop for the lay up.
- After the lay up, the next group starts.
- 9 grabs the rebound and power dribbles to the sideline then speed dribbles down court, coming to a jump stop on the sideline at the foul line extended. The player passes the ball back to the coach and returns to the rebounding line.
Points of Emphasis:
- Allow two or three dribbles before each pass.
- Compete against clock to make a certain number of lay-ups in three minutes.
- Move last line to baseline or foul-line extended by three point line. Player cuts, catches pass at foul line, squares to bucket and shoots jump shot.
- Remove the coach. When the power dribbler reaches the three-point line, she dribble drives to the elbow, pulling up for a jump shot. Player under basket rebounds the shot and passes to outlet.