All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 09 Sep 2012, 18:04 

I am about to start a 6 week training session, and it is Monday-Friday with Wednesday off. Here's the link to it if you want to check it out. http://www.ihoops.com/training-room/strength-and-conditioning/The-Definitive-6-Week-Guard-Workout.htm?cmp=39-31--iHoops. Anyway on any of those off days should I jog or do conditioning drills? Or should I just focus on skills? I thought I could do a warmup mile and cool down half mile( excerise bike in weight room). Other concern is I'm 14 and in the 8th grade. Should I not get into a lifting session yet? Thanks for your time, love the forum.

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2012, 19:31 

I think it might be better if you worked on your skills and SHOOTING on your off days.. As I read that there seemed to be a lot of quickness drills which are important in the game of basketball. Distance running isn't that important. IF you do decide to lift, don't use heavy weights, you're not lifting for bulk, you are lifting for strength.... another good idea would be to do some shooting after you lift - that will loosen you up afterwards...

You might run this by the coach at your school - OR if you can get to the high school and talk to their strength coach (if they have one) and talk to him about this workout, he might have some ideas. IF you are a little apprehensive about doing that yourself... talk to your coach or maybe your dad can help you with talking to him.

Glad you love the forum, Jeff and Joe have done a great job putting this site together. Let us know how this is going for you and IF you have any luck with the coaches at the high school.

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2012, 19:42 

Thanks, I'm going to try that.