All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 11 Jan 2010, 23:07 

is there anyway a i could learn to be a more aggresive player or do i just have to be more aggresive literally and mentally by myself when playing basketball.
I think i have already asked a question like this before, but when i play basketball i always think the players on my team are better than me, so i don't play agressively at all, and i get scared if i mess up they are going to get mad at me or think negatively about me. Even though i know i am better than them.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2010, 00:38 

Ekam: I am going to send you a lind on an article that was written by Jay Billas who is an analyst for ESPN and a former player. I have been coaching many years and this is the best article on "Toughness" i have ever read. I coach professional basketball in Asia and gave a copy to all my players to keep. read it son, its well worth it, If it doesn't make you a better player I'll eat the article..good luck coach mac

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/insider/columns/story?columnist=bilas_jay&id=3868904&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncb%2finsider%2fcolumns%2fstory%3fcolumnist%3dbilas_jay%26id%3d3868904

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2010, 07:58 

This is a great article Coach Mac.... pretty much covers the whole game doesn't it! Thanks for sharing this with us.

From reading ekam's prior posts it seems like part of his problem is self - confidence.

Ekam, you need to start believing in yourself and your own abilities.
IF you don't no one else will either. You are telling us that you are a good player - then go out there every day you are with them and prove it... by that I mean, be the hardest working player on the floor... day in and day out. I gurantee you that they will respect you for that... and that has nothing to do with talent.

We used to tell our players this... "while some teams may be better than us - NO ONE will out work us!" So, you be one of those guys..... gain some confidence that way..... Play to your strengths and work on your weaknesses in practice.

Play Hard - Play Smart - and above all HAVE FUN!

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2010, 17:33 

thanks alot for your repplies coach mac and coach sar, no matter what the question you guys really give great advice

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2010, 17:44 

No problem Ekam -

I hope helped you ... good luck

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2010, 18:21 

Its our pleasure Ekam, post that article above your bed try to complete at least three of the principles each practice and it will make you a better more aggressive player. As Coach Sar says, you need a dose of confidence young man and the only way you will get it is by out working not only your opponents but also your teammates. remember one principle "Work so hard out on the floor, that your coach will be forced to take you out." and once you are finished, ask yourself these questions, "Did i do everything I could have done to make my team better, to make my coach better and to make myself better. I have heard athletes say that they have given 100% out there. well as you know, 100% is perfection and i have come to believe that no one gives 100% There is ALWAYS something more you can do. Did you aggressively pursue that loose ball, Did you go hard after that offensive rebound, Did you work your tail off to shut your opponent down defensively?
Good Luck son enjoy the greatest game on earth. Coach Mac

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2010, 19:27 

Great advice Coach Mac!

This IS the greatest game on Earth to my way of thinking... I coached football, baseball and basketball.... but this game is my favorite.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2010, 13:48 

everytime we're dribbling or when we get a pass do we look at the hoop right away

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2010, 15:39 

When you are dribbling you need to keep your head up so you can read the defense and look at your options.

When you catch a pass you should square up and get into a triple threat position... to see if you can shoot, pass or need to use the dribble.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2010, 20:39 

what about when driving in and we get in trouble what should we do, because i don't have a lot a lot of game experiance yet.

Also during a scrimmage i started thinkng if i should crossover my defender or do something else, is that okay or do we just react when playing basketball

I also know a lot of moves but during a game or scrimmage i never do them, is it becasue i have never practiced them and therefore they are not stored in my mind which means in a game situation, during different kinds of situations where i can apply those moves, but they are not in stored in my mind and have not mastered them (i think i already know them), so i can't react right away to the situation, instead i have to think of doing some kind of move and then, and by the time i think of something, theres nothing left to do