All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 19 Mar 2010, 18:59 

hmmm, then I think I'll do different moves on different days. I really want to get in my stationary ball handling and my movement stuff in a total of 30 minutes, not because I'm lazy, but my workout plan is to warm up for 10-15 min. with a jump rope for quickness, then 30 minutes of ball handling/dribbling, and then 250-300 makes in a shooting workout. So I think, maybe, I'll alternate: I'll do 5-6 min. crossovers, then 5-6 min. between legs . Then the next day, I'll do 5-6 min. behind the back, and 5-6 min. in&out. sound good? and I'll make a move, finsh at the basket, and on the way back to the chair, I'll make the same move going the opposite direction, to be efficient.

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2010, 12:40 

coach, you didn't reply to my last post. What do you think if I work on 2 of the moves on 1 day, and then the other 2 moves the next day?

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2010, 15:57 

Been out for awhile.... that might be a good way to start - 2 moves one day and 2 the next until you get comfortable doing them. Then I would do all of them every day... just cutting back the time for each one a little bit.

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2010, 17:12 

alright. So thats what I'll do. I also heard that dribbling a tennis ball is really good because it improves hand eye coordination and it makes it easier to dribble a basketball. I'll try to do that whenever I can. Like, if I am watching TV, I'll go get a tennis ball and just dribble while I watch, just so I can be getting a little better while doing anything. And also, I heard that ball handling shouldn't be trained every single day, because the nervous system must rest for 1-2 days. So, this week, I did my workout 4 times ( Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday, since I have team practice on Tuesdays and Thursdays). I did not do ball handling today, except with a tennis ball. I just wanted to share that

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2010, 17:20 

I think thats a good idea..... taking a break is good for the mind. I never heard of that nervous system problem... but it could be correct. Thats a good practice schedule.... you can work on dribbling while lying on your back too. Use your imagination.

How much time do you spend on shooting per day?

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2010, 17:36 

whats a good idea? taking a break or dribblnig a tennis ball? and I really don't go for time in my shooting workouts (well, I kinda do). I bought this dvd http://www.hoopsking.com/basketball-shooting-triple-threat-ganon-baker.html and it has A LOT of different and innovative shooting drills, like this for example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhJDXEKSUkA I picked about 20 of the drills, and I perform each drill for 1 minute at an intense pace, and I must make 7 shots in 1 minute. I do each drill twice, and I must make 7 in a miunte each time (there are only like 2 exceptions). So all in all, I must make about 250-300 shots. I emailed ganon and he told me that in shooting workouts, it is better to focus on MADE shots rather than attempts.

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2010, 17:45 

Taking a break from time to time is good...... as long as your workouts are intense... dribbling the tennis ball is good... try it out and see if it helps your game

Focusing on made shots is much better than just shooting... anyone can shoot it.. making the shot is all that matters. IF you are having problems shooting at any time... go to the free throw line and check out your form........ or just form shoot for a couple of minutes. Don't get so intense that your form goes South on you.

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2010, 17:54 

hmmm, well this goes back to my other topic in the shooting section, but I can't make shots in scrimmage, but I can make them when I'm practicing. But you told me that it is all about confidence so I'll be getting more confident. My very first AAU tournament starts on Friday

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2010, 17:59 

Believe in yourself is first and foremost. Just keep working on your game..... and when you are playing... let the shots find you.... don't force things. IF your shots aren't falling, get yourself to the free throw line... take the ball to the basket.