All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 28 Jan 2010, 10:49 

In the Bruce Bowen video he mentions he likes to front the post. I am teaching my guys right now to the play defense the way you do (I think). To play in an open stance and force bad shots rather than steal every pass. Inside of this our #1 goal after contest every shot is to rebound the basketball. When you front you give up all rebounding position, so, I told my guys to play behind the low post, stay strong, contest and hope for the best. Do you have any help/advice for my guys and me? I am thinking about encouraging the guys up top to sag down and help deny entry passes. Anyways, any help would be appreciated, have a good weekend.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2010, 10:54 
Site Admin

Before deciding to front the post, 3/4 front, full front the post, I think you have to ask yourself some questions which you may have done already. I think you also have to evaluate your personnel.

Are your post defenders tall enough to force low-percentage shots if they stay behind the post?

Can they rotate quickly enough to help out penetration if they are positioned behind the post or is that something that you are willing to give up? Also, if you have great on-ball defenders where penetration is minimal, it may be something you are willing to risk to maintain good rebounding position.

If you front the post, do your players rotate quick enough to help out on the lob passes? Can you get good rebounding position or are you going to get killed on the boards? Personally, I believe that I can drill the players that I coach to rotate into good rebounding position with the post fronted. However, this is something that you have to drill and practice.

If you have smaller post players, then I think fronting is the way to go. Otherwise, you’ll give up too many easy baskets close to the hoop.

You also might set a hybrid rule if you have one real tall player and bunch of smaller players. For example, Jimmy (who is 6’10) can stay behind the defense. Everybody else has to front the post.

As for tips on playing behind the post, I don't have a lot of tips because I've never coached that way because I had midgets every year! :)

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2010, 11:02 

I talk about Post Defense this way - (we dead fronted most of the time otherwise it was 3/4, we were NOT going to allow the ball in the post IF we could help it... by the way..... you need EXTREME PRESSURE on the BALL when you do this.

IF you play BEHIND the post - there are a few things that can happen...
1- He makes the shot
2- He makes the shot and gets fouled
3- He gets fouled.
4- He misses

I had this argument with several coaches on another board... I told them this.. I don't know where you are playing - but around here... they are going to score and / or get fouled and I don't like those options.

Look at the things that Joe wrote too... he is right on with all of it.

I know that it makes it harder to rebound this way... but we taught to SPIN OFF of FIRST CONTACT when the shot went up. From there it becomes a battle of wills... who wants the better position more and who wants to rebound the ball more.

JMO

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2010, 20:49 

Coach: If you are going to dead front the post, it is critical that your perimeter defenders get great ball pressure and try to take away vision as much as possible. It is also critical that you have great help from the offside defender. In my m2m, I dead front no matter of differences in height however, I drill the back side help, If you are going to dead front your post player must be confident that if he has to step out to stop a drive, his back side help will be there to bail him out. It is also crucial that all of your players talk and communicate on defense. You must also decide whether you want to FAN the ball, which means keep the ball on the side and not allow middle or funnel it through the middle. Finally make sure you break down your defensive components into individual drills, drill the parts, put the parts together to complete the whole. Yours in basketball CoachMac

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2010, 07:24 

Thanks for all the replies, guys! You have definitely given me a lot to think about.