All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 11 Nov 2010, 21:13 

hey guys just wanted get a couple professional comments on my 10 yr olds shooting form. any corrections needed now or as he gets older? and any suggestions on anything to stress to him. i have read on here where shooting is a major major fundamental art to learn and i try not let bad habits develop but i dont know what all the bad habits are and whats expected and acceptable at different ages. this shot is on a 10 ft goal using 28.5 ball . thanks!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25JzWkYnYYY

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2010, 21:30 

For a 10 year old I would say that he has a pretty nice shot..... I cant see his off hand...... but his follow thru looks good and he has good arc on the ball.... shooting at a traditional basket... I would be very happy if he was my son. Now let him have some fun while he is draining shots.

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2010, 21:56 

thanks caoch sar!we are happy with him even if was him playing chess !!! lol we always try to have fun! i really stress to make things fun whether sports or school or just being a plain ol silly kid! but ill get back on track and back to shooting question sir, im not stressing over this shooting form just love the oppertunity to ask professionals and see where he is out of curiosity and yes he does ask me how to do stuff and if he does things right and i want to tell him correct things cause he absolutly loves basketball at this point !! here is one quick clip of that shows his off hand about mid way thru clip , i probably should used this one first. i know he has a little shoulder dip but i figure thats due to strenght but i dont know im no expert on basketball , i am showing this clip cause im unsure what the off hand shouldnt do.i know its a guide hand but thats it. sorry for adding a secon clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmC7ZcMKhbA

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2010, 22:04 

Thats a nice shot.... regardless of age..... form looks good, he is shooting free throws and making more than he misses........ Like I said, I would be happy with that shot right now.

Questions.... what is his range right now? And can you show us a clip of him shooting off the dribble... or a flip drill? ( Flip drill is him tossing the ball out in front of himself, going after it, catching and inside pivot to the basket - kind of like on the free throw line from one lane to the other.

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2010, 22:31 

coach sar id say his range right now is 17-18 ft keeping that same form. he can shoot from 3 point line but he tends to drop that right shoulder more and bends his back more so im assuming thats a compensation for being not strong enough and out of range. i hate the 3 point line in elementary schools!!! wish they would remove it and i encourage him to stay inside that line, i dont have a clip of him shooting jump shots off driible and i had never thought of flip drill shots but we will try those and since u asked ill post a clip for u to take a quick look at after we try them! while im talking to u what do u think of shooting runners. my son loves to shoot little runners. is that a good shot to learn or bad and i do have a clip of him practicing those off the dribble

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2010, 07:16 

Thats great range for a 10 year old and I wouldn't encourage him to make a living out of shooting 3s right now... IF he has to adjust his form, then its not a good idea.... tell him to be patient, in another year or two he will have no problems with the 3. (tell him I said that)
There is this great retired coach from Italy, Dan Peterson ( I was a friend of his brothers ) he talks about the lost part of the floor - the MID RANGE game. Everyone seems to want the 3, the dunk or take it to the basket... NO mid range jumpers. Personally I hate the 17-18 foot jumper, but for your sons age, its all about keeping his form correct.
Funny, you asking about the runner/floater, there is another boy on this site that wants to do that... (he was 11 and had GREAT form with his shot) and from what I read, its an important part of a smaller players arsenal..... NOT so sure that it is that important for a 10 year old. IF he were my son I wouldn't hold him back from trying different things, doing this will just increase his game and he will find out what he can and cannot do this year... next year who knows, he might be dunking LOL
I agree, the 3 point shot should not be part of the game for kids that age. BUT, Each kid is different, one year I saw this 11 year old doing stuff some of my varsity players couldnt do, dribble wise, pull up jumpers from the arc etc. and he was small also.... turns out he was a coaches son, one I knew very well.... his mom came up to me at half time and we talked... I told her, let me guess..... #21 is your son..... LOL

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2010, 11:43 

I wouldn't put much emphasis on a 10 yr old shooting 3 pointers. That will screw up his form.

Keep doing what you are doing work on the 12-15ft jumpers. But before each shooting workout or practice, have him do one handed form shooting, Players of all ages start their day off with this, right up through college and into the pros.
Have him start 2 feet from hoop on right side, use backboard, hold ball in shooting hand, balance hand should be behind his back. Do this drill SLOWLY......bend knees, elbow in, extend, flick wrist, finish high with an "elbow to ear" follow thru, watch for nice backspin rotation of ball. Take 10 to 20 of these shots then move to left side and repeat..still using his "strong" shooting hand. After that rep move to straight on shots, 2-3 feet out, still one handed but do not use backboard.
Note: I also ask my players to locate their fingertips in one of the channel grooves of the ball......this serves as better grip for one handed form shooting and they can really see the ball rotation better.

As he makes these shots, have him take a few steps back, bring in balance hand and try those shots. As he continues making these shots have him step back for further shots...
Then transition into shots off dribble and shots off pass.

One last thing....if he is shooting with a 28.5" ball (girl's ball), keep in mind he will soon transition to a men's ball, 29.5"....different size, different feel.

Good Luck,

Have fun!!

Coach A